FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
The Leisure Hive Forum Index  Log in  Register
Dalek War Box Set (and other things)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Leisure Hive Forum Index -> DVD Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
B3



Joined: 09 May 2007
Posts: 9458

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
We all know Davies and his cronies are complete and utter fucking cunts, but I had a depressing thought - it's being discussed elsewhere that there's no mention of Letts' death on the official website, what if it's because he was clever enough not to be taken in by Davies' drivel?


Well, they do praise aspects of New Who - namely the effects and the way it looks. It's the fact that these Who luminaries criticise such fundamental things as narrative logic that is so damning.

I suspect the reason they haven't mentioned Letts' passing is nothing more sinister than the fact that they're all twats.
_________________
Die zarte, aber helle Differenz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Chancellor Valium



Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 3213
Location: Behind the First Mystery which is the Last Mystery which is the twenty-fourth mystery and Great Amen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B3 wrote:
Mike wrote:
We all know Davies and his cronies are complete and utter fucking cunts, but I had a depressing thought - it's being discussed elsewhere that there's no mention of Letts' death on the official website, what if it's because he was clever enough not to be taken in by Davies' drivel?


Well, they do praise aspects of New Who - namely the effects and the way it looks. It's the fact that these Who luminaries criticise such fundamental things as narrative logic that is so damning.

I suspect the reason they haven't mentioned Letts' passing is nothing more sinister than the fact that they're all twats.


They probably haven't noticed. It's rather dark up your own sphincter.
_________________
"My fellow Americans: As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball. But tonight I say to you: We must move forward, not backward! Upward, not forward! And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Author Message
B3



Joined: 09 May 2007
Posts: 9458

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chancellor Valium wrote:
B3 wrote:
Mike wrote:
We all know Davies and his cronies are complete and utter fucking cunts, but I had a depressing thought - it's being discussed elsewhere that there's no mention of Letts' death on the official website, what if it's because he was clever enough not to be taken in by Davies' drivel?


Well, they do praise aspects of New Who - namely the effects and the way it looks. It's the fact that these Who luminaries criticise such fundamental things as narrative logic that is so damning.

I suspect the reason they haven't mentioned Letts' passing is nothing more sinister than the fact that they're all twats.


They probably haven't noticed. It's rather dark up your own sphincter.


Or someone else's.
_________________
Die zarte, aber helle Differenz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Vector-Victor



Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Posts: 2599
Location: Cork, Ireland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
We all know Davies and his cronies are complete and utter fucking cunts, but I had a depressing thought - it's being discussed elsewhere that there's no mention of Letts' death on the official website, what if it's because he was clever enough not to be taken in by Davies' drivel?


I don't know. I do think Letts was sincere in his praise for Nu-Who,
but, like Verity Lambert, he was also honest enough to admit there
were aspects of it he didn't like (the sexual tension between
the Doctor and companion).

Much as I dislike Davies, I doubt he or Moffat has anything to do with
the absence of a mention of Letts on the BBC DW website. The fact that
the whole BBC website doesn't mention Letts' passing is
the bigger scandal IMO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
RobFilth



Joined: 08 May 2007
Posts: 9013
Location: Rallying against Rani's Repetitive Rhubarb and Rubbish.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vector-Victor wrote:
Much as I dislike Davies, I doubt he or Moffat has anything to do with the absence of a mention of Letts on the BBC DW website. The fact that
the whole BBC website doesn't mention Letts' passing is
the bigger scandal IMO.


Any snub to the old school is usually down to Davies though and that is purely because he is an utter cunt.
_________________


Rallying against Rani's Repetitive Rhubarb and Rubbish.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Ludders



Joined: 26 Jul 2009
Posts: 2646

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i've been devouring the Dalek War box set this last few days.
I must admit that 'Frontier in Space', gets a little bit dull at times, but Delgado's scenes are a joy, and Ep 6 is a cracker.
'Planet of the Daleks' actually fares much better than i remembered, even though it's often criticised as another Terry Nation runaround, that's a variation on his original 60's Dalek debut.
The story actually works really well. A good drama, with plenty of Dalek action. Great sets, and nice performances from all concerned. And the colourization of Episode 3 is a smashing success!
The extras were mostly enjoyable, although i wasn't keen on the way they've tried to present the Making of docus as a sort of ironic look back from the future kind of thing. But i really enjoyed the history of the Third Doctor comic strips, from TV Comic & Countdown, and the Dalek comic strips from Century 21, etc...
And the Roger Delgado docu was a really nice tribute, complete with previously unseen photos and clips. I'd forgotten he was in Quatermass II, albeit briefly. No mention of Terror of the Tongs or The Mummy's Shroud unfortunately, but then emphasis was on his radio and tv career.
What a tragic death. Just a senseless accident. The driver of his taxi took a bend on a mountain road too fast apparently, killing them both in the process.
Nevertheless, it's great that his talents have gotten a bit of recognition, even if it's only a half hour dvd bonus feature. He really was the only Master.......

And the great news for us Pertwee fans is that the Peladon box set in now the first story out next year.

Quote:
The Curse of Peladon

4 x 25 min colour episodes with mono audio.

Commentary - stereo. With actor Katy Manning, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks and production assistant Chris D'Oyly-John. Moderated by Toby Hadoke.

The Peladon Saga - Part One (dur. 23' 24") - Cast and crew recall the making of both Peladon stories. Part one opens with a look at the socio-political climate in the UK in the early seventies and its influence on the storylines. With actors Katy Manning, Donald Gee, Nina Thomas and Ralph Watson, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, production assistant Chris D'Oyly-John, sound designer Brian Hodgson, visual effects designer Peter Day, costume designer Sylvia James and make-up supervisor Elizabeth Moss. Narrated by David Hamilton. 16:9 FHA.

Warriors of Mars (dur. 14' 54") - a brief history of the Ice Warriors in Doctor Who by the people who designed and brought them to life. With actors Sonny Caldinez, Alan Bennion and Bernard Bresslaw (voice only), producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, director Michael Ferguson, make-up designer Sylvia James, sound designer Brian Hodgson and visual effects designer Peter Day. Narrated by Donald Gee. 16:9 FHA

Jon and Katy (dur. 7' 06") - looking back at one of the most fondly remembered Doctor / Companion pairings in the show's history - Jon Pertwee's Third Doctor and Katy Manning's scatty UNIT agent, Jo Grant. With Katy Manning, Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks. 16:9 FHA.

Storyboard Comparison (dur. 2' 16") - Comparing visual effects designer Ian Scoones' hand-drawn storyboards for the story's opening sequence with the finished version as seen on screen.

Photo Gallery (dur. 7' 30") - production and publicity photos from the story.

Coming Soon (dur. approx 1' 00") - a trail for a forthcoming DVD release.

PDF Material - BBC Enterprises sales literature and Radio Times listings in Adobe pdf format for viewing on PC or Mac.

Programme Subtitles

Subtitle Production Notes


The Monster of Peladon

Disc 1

6 x 25 min colour episodes with mono audio.

Commentary - stereo. With actors Nina Thomas, Donald Gee, Ralph Watson and Stuart Fell, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks and, for episode four only, a commentary by fans Rob Shearman, Mark Aldridge, Kate Du-Rose and Philip Newman. Moderated by Toby Hadoke.

Disc 2

The Peladon Saga - Part Two (dur. 22' 08") - Cast and crew recall the making of both Peladon stories. Part two looks at the characters and monsters featured in the stories. With actors Katy Manning, Donald Gee, Nina Thomas, Ralph Watson, Stuart Fell, Sonny Caldinez and Nick Evans, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, production assistant Chris D'Oyly-John, sound designer Brian Hodgson and make-up supervisor Elizabeth Moss .Narrated by David Hamilton. 16:9 FHA.

Deleted Scene (dur. 1' 42") - a recreation of a deleted scene based on a surviving audio recording.

Where Are They Now? (dur. 2' 27") - David Jacobs interviews actress Ysanne Churchman, who provided the voice for alien ambassador Alpha Centauri in both Peladon stories, in this extract from the 1980 television series.

On Target - Terrance Dicks (dur. 21' 25") - writer and script editor Terrance Dicks novelised many Doctor Who stories for the Target book range over the years. With Terrance Dicks, writers Paul Cornell, Gareth Roberts and David J Howe, and former Doctor Who Magazine editor Alan Barnes. Featuring readings by Caroline John, Katy Manning and David Troughton. 16:9 FHA.

Photo Gallery (dur. 8' 18 ") - production and publicity photos from the story.

Coming Soon (dur. approx 1' 00") - a trail for a forthcoming DVD release.

PDF Material - BBC Enterprises sales literature, Radio Times listings and a studio floorplan in Adobe pdf format for viewing on PC or Mac.

Programme Subtitles

Subtitle Production Notes

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
B3



Joined: 09 May 2007
Posts: 9458

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludders wrote:


And the great news for us Pertwee fans is that the Peladon box set in now the first story out next year.

Quote:
The Curse of Peladon

4 x 25 min colour episodes with mono audio.

Commentary - stereo. With actor Katy Manning, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks and production assistant Chris D'Oyly-John. Moderated by Toby Hadoke.

The Peladon Saga - Part One (dur. 23' 24") - Cast and crew recall the making of both Peladon stories. Part one opens with a look at the socio-political climate in the UK in the early seventies and its influence on the storylines. With actors Katy Manning, Donald Gee, Nina Thomas and Ralph Watson, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, production assistant Chris D'Oyly-John, sound designer Brian Hodgson, visual effects designer Peter Day, costume designer Sylvia James and make-up supervisor Elizabeth Moss. Narrated by David Hamilton. 16:9 FHA.

Warriors of Mars (dur. 14' 54") - a brief history of the Ice Warriors in Doctor Who by the people who designed and brought them to life. With actors Sonny Caldinez, Alan Bennion and Bernard Bresslaw (voice only), producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, director Michael Ferguson, make-up designer Sylvia James, sound designer Brian Hodgson and visual effects designer Peter Day. Narrated by Donald Gee. 16:9 FHA

Jon and Katy (dur. 7' 06") - looking back at one of the most fondly remembered Doctor / Companion pairings in the show's history - Jon Pertwee's Third Doctor and Katy Manning's scatty UNIT agent, Jo Grant. With Katy Manning, Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks. 16:9 FHA.

Storyboard Comparison (dur. 2' 16") - Comparing visual effects designer Ian Scoones' hand-drawn storyboards for the story's opening sequence with the finished version as seen on screen.

Photo Gallery (dur. 7' 30") - production and publicity photos from the story.

Coming Soon (dur. approx 1' 00") - a trail for a forthcoming DVD release.

PDF Material - BBC Enterprises sales literature and Radio Times listings in Adobe pdf format for viewing on PC or Mac.

Programme Subtitles

Subtitle Production Notes


The Monster of Peladon

Disc 1

6 x 25 min colour episodes with mono audio.

Commentary - stereo. With actors Nina Thomas, Donald Gee, Ralph Watson and Stuart Fell, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks and, for episode four only, a commentary by fans Rob Shearman, Mark Aldridge, Kate Du-Rose and Philip Newman. Moderated by Toby Hadoke.

Disc 2

The Peladon Saga - Part Two (dur. 22' 08") - Cast and crew recall the making of both Peladon stories. Part two looks at the characters and monsters featured in the stories. With actors Katy Manning, Donald Gee, Nina Thomas, Ralph Watson, Stuart Fell, Sonny Caldinez and Nick Evans, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, production assistant Chris D'Oyly-John, sound designer Brian Hodgson and make-up supervisor Elizabeth Moss .Narrated by David Hamilton. 16:9 FHA.

Deleted Scene (dur. 1' 42") - a recreation of a deleted scene based on a surviving audio recording.

Where Are They Now? (dur. 2' 27") - David Jacobs interviews actress Ysanne Churchman, who provided the voice for alien ambassador Alpha Centauri in both Peladon stories, in this extract from the 1980 television series.

On Target - Terrance Dicks (dur. 21' 25") - writer and script editor Terrance Dicks novelised many Doctor Who stories for the Target book range over the years. With Terrance Dicks, writers Paul Cornell, Gareth Roberts and David J Howe, and former Doctor Who Magazine editor Alan Barnes. Featuring readings by Caroline John, Katy Manning and David Troughton. 16:9 FHA.

Photo Gallery (dur. 8' 18 ") - production and publicity photos from the story.

Coming Soon (dur. approx 1' 00") - a trail for a forthcoming DVD release.

PDF Material - BBC Enterprises sales literature, Radio Times listings and a studio floorplan in Adobe pdf format for viewing on PC or Mac.

Programme Subtitles

Subtitle Production Notes



This is brilliant news.

I love both stories.

It's a shame Lis Sladen has disappeared so far into the New Who fundament she'll no longer do commentaries for real Who. It's probably a blessing in disguise as she'd have droned on and on about how much better Journey's End is.
_________________
Die zarte, aber helle Differenz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Chancellor Valium



Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 3213
Location: Behind the First Mystery which is the Last Mystery which is the twenty-fourth mystery and Great Amen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B3 wrote:


This is brilliant news.

I love both stories.

It's a shame Lis Sladen has disappeared so far into the New Who fundament she'll no longer do commentaries for real Who. It's probably a blessing in disguise as she'd have droned on and on about how much better Journey's End is.

"The alien planets are much better now than they were in my day. Wobbly sets and bad special effects were all we had. Can I have my fee now?"
_________________
"My fellow Americans: As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball. But tonight I say to you: We must move forward, not backward! Upward, not forward! And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Author Message
Moderator General



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 1149
Location: City of the Damned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludders wrote:

The extras were mostly enjoyable, although i wasn't keen on the way they've tried to present the Making of docus as a sort of ironic look back from the future kind of thing.



The other stuff was great but those godawful, am-dram mockumentaries made by some film-maker manqué were virtually unwatchable. 5 minutes of content in 25 minutes of twaddle. Shame to see Barry Letts in such a bad way but nice to see Janet Fielding having her say. Couldn't believe the way they cut off John Friedlander (who struck me as still surprisingly young) to fit in more of their inane twaddle.

Couldn't they have spent the money on animating a missing episode?



Ludders wrote:
But i really enjoyed the history of the Third Doctor comic strips, from TV Comic & Countdown, and the Dalek comic strips from Century 21, etc...


That was good. Somehow even Gary Russell seemed tolerable in it.


Ludders wrote:
And the Roger Delgado docu was a really nice tribute, complete with previously unseen photos and clips. What a tragic death. It's great that his talents have gotten a bit of recognition, even if it's only a half hour dvd bonus feature. He really was the only Master.......


Very moving to see Mrs D talking about him. Of course, it would have been even more so if Murray had stood in the background with his Hammond organ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Ludders



Joined: 26 Jul 2009
Posts: 2646

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderator General wrote:
Somehow even Gary Russell seemed tolerable in it.


At least Grussel's not as annoying as Clayton Dickman. I despair everytime that cunt pops up on the dvd extras. Rolling Eyes
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Newheiser



Joined: 08 Aug 2008
Posts: 541

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderator General wrote:
nice to see Janet Fielding having her say.


Was it? Why, exactly? All Janet "Russell's a genius" Fielding EVER does is slag the classic series off and she was doing it again here. It's bad enough having to put up with her on Davison era DVDs without now having to see her offering her expert critique on other eras of the show too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Moderator General



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 1149
Location: City of the Damned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newheiser wrote:
Moderator General wrote:
nice to see Janet Fielding having her say.

Newheiser wrote:
Was it?
I thought so.

Newheiser wrote:
Why, exactly?
I like Janet.

Newheiser wrote:
All Janet "Russell's a genius" Fielding EVER does is slag the classic series off and she was doing it again here.
I wasn't aware that she had been sucking up to Davies, but then Sladen and Davison have both been involved and Courtney was looking for a part wasn't he?

Newheiser wrote:
It's bad enough having to put up with her on Davison era DVDs
She was part of them. I think that entitles her to an opinion. Commentaries that consist of gushing sycophancy are generally quite tedious.

Newheiser wrote:
without now having to see her offering her expert critique on other eras of the show too.

And having some twat from DWM offering his critique is infinitely worse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Chancellor Valium



Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 3213
Location: Behind the First Mystery which is the Last Mystery which is the twenty-fourth mystery and Great Amen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I felt the commentary on Earthshock was better than the story itself...
_________________
"My fellow Americans: As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball. But tonight I say to you: We must move forward, not backward! Upward, not forward! And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Author Message
iank



Joined: 01 Aug 2009
Posts: 879

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, having just got it, I was rather appalled at having Fielding on the Planet doco to tell us all how sexist it was. What the fuck is that old trout doing on a Pertwee DVD, exactly? Shouldn't she be marching in the Hairy Armpits Convention Rally or something?

Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Leisure Hive Forum Index -> DVD Releases All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2007-2008 Informe.com. Get Free Forum Hosting
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
 :: 
BBTech Template by © 2003-04 MDesign