FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
The Leisure Hive Forum Index  Log in  Register
Doctor Who is to meet former US president Richard Nixon.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Leisure Hive Forum Index -> The Current Era
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rick Deckard



Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Doctor Who is to meet former US president Richard Nixon. Reply with quote

http://entertainment.stv.tv/tv/204751-doctor-who-to-film-in-us/

The Doctor and Nixon the best of buddies, fighting the silence together, how wonderful.............
_________________
The Doctor: Madam, this revelation should halt this trial immediately. Surely even Gallifreyan Law must acknowledge that the same person cannot be both prosecutor and defendant!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Tash



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Posts: 893
Location: Atlantis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will he inform Tricky Dicky that it might not be a good idea to break into that room at the Watergate?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Rigsby



Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 1047

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who is to meet former US president Richard Nixon. Reply with quote

Rick Deckard wrote:
http://entertainment.stv.tv/tv/204751-doctor-who-to-film-in-us/

The Doctor and Nixon the best of buddies, fighting the silence together, how wonderful.............

An explanation for the missing 17 minutes of tape at the end?
_________________
Doctor Who fans - Movie adaptions of the most heated DW internet forum discussions

CHARLIE BROOKER ON NEW WHO
"The most consistently inventive, lovingly crafted British drama on TV! Fact!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Rick Deckard



Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tash wrote:
Will he inform Tricky Dicky that it might not be a good idea to break into that room at the Watergate?


No Moffat will probably work that into his story and make it look like Nixon was acting on the Doctor's behalf for the greater good. In the end the Doctor will probably tell his companions what a misjudged president he was, and what a wonderful person he really is on the inside.... blah blah blah.
_________________
The Doctor: Madam, this revelation should halt this trial immediately. Surely even Gallifreyan Law must acknowledge that the same person cannot be both prosecutor and defendant!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Greywoolfe



Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 93
Location: In a cat box, somewhere beneath Stonehenge.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep- the recordings were probably set up to record the 'big bad', and only the last (missing) 17 minutes have the neccessary footage. Might make for an interesting historical twist.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Author Message
Jimmy Nimbus



Joined: 07 Mar 2010
Posts: 414

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregory Itzin for Nixon, pls.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
_Liam_
Site Admin


Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 3854

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? Surely The Doctor would more likely be mates with Hunter S Thompson

fuck this show Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
B3



Joined: 09 May 2007
Posts: 9458

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Liam_ wrote:
What? Surely The Doctor would more likely be mates with Hunter S Thompson

fuck this show Laughing


Nah, the Doctor wouldn't bother with overrated drug-addled hacks. He'd be mates with interesting 19th century Americans such as Harriet Tubman and Herman Melville.

Thinking about it, a Who story set at the time of the Underground Railroad would be an interesting historical. Do you think Miffit would be interested?
_________________
Die zarte, aber helle Differenz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Tash



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Posts: 893
Location: Atlantis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B3 wrote:
_Liam_ wrote:
What? Surely The Doctor would more likely be mates with Hunter S Thompson

fuck this show Laughing


Nah, the Doctor wouldn't bother with overrated drug-addled hacks. He'd be mates with interesting 19th century Americans such as Harriet Tubman and Herman Melville.

Thinking about it, a Who story set at the time of the Underground Railroad would be an interesting historical. Do you think Miffit would be interested?


That sounds like a great idea for the first historical in decades, but no doubt Moffhead would mess it up with aliens selling rayguns to the Confederates or something equally stupid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
_Liam_
Site Admin


Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 3854

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B3 wrote:
_Liam_ wrote:
What? Surely The Doctor would more likely be mates with Hunter S Thompson

fuck this show Laughing


Nah, the Doctor wouldn't bother with overrated drug-addled hacks. He'd be mates with interesting 19th century Americans such as Harriet Tubman and Herman Melville.


Yeah but that's choosing any 2 Americans almost arbitrarily, HST has a vague connection to Dicky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Jimmy Nimbus



Joined: 07 Mar 2010
Posts: 414

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to be in on the Two Americans school of plot writing:

Lizzie Borden
Ray Toro from My Chemical Romance

Having accidentally dropped in on a My Chemical Romance concert in Massachusetts, the Doctor immediately dematerialises the TARDIS but accidentally sucks Toro into the time vortex. The Doctor arrives in 1892 and Toro materialises right in the middle of Borden's hatchet attack on her own father.

As Toro is chopped to pieces, the Doctor, totally oblivious, re-encounters the Raston Robot but tricks it into attacking at such an angle that its speed and force makes it break Earth's gravity and harmlessly float away.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Jimmy Nimbus



Joined: 07 Mar 2010
Posts: 414

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Amy Pond says a sentence that starts perfectly fine and ALL OF A SUDDEN GOES LIKE THISSSAA!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Pex



Joined: 06 May 2007
Posts: 2514
Location: Paradise Towers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Liam_ wrote:
Yeah but that's choosing any 2 Americans almost arbitrarily, HST has a vague connection to Dicky


In The Great Shark Hunt there's a great story about riding in Nixon's car and discussing American football with him. I don't know if it's meant to be taken literally or whether it's a parable.
_________________
Coalition would mean Con policies, Con leadership by a Con party for a Con trick - Harold Wilson, October 1974
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
War Arrow



Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 550
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pex wrote:
_Liam_ wrote:
Yeah but that's choosing any 2 Americans almost arbitrarily, HST has a vague connection to Dicky


In The Great Shark Hunt there's a great story about riding in Nixon's car and discussing American football with him. I don't know if it's meant to be taken literally or whether it's a parable.


I'm pretty sure that happened as HST referred to it elsewhere if I recall.

I'm actually quietly fascinated by Nixon and find him an interesting, if perhaps not pleasant character. I've got a feeling I'm going to end up in the weird position of being irritated by him being portrayed in a bad light (as in a bad light entirely different to the bad light in which he portrayed himself).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Author Message
Tash



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Posts: 893
Location: Atlantis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

War Arrow wrote:
I'm pretty sure that happened as HST referred to it elsewhere if I recall.

I'm actually quietly fascinated by Nixon and find him an interesting, if perhaps not pleasant character. I've got a feeling I'm going to end up in the weird position of being irritated by him being portrayed in a bad light (as in a bad light entirely different to the bad light in which he portrayed himself).


There's no doubt he was a better leader than Kennedy, Kennedy's questionable actions (invading Cuba etc.) were swept under the carpet after his death. Nixon's reign however presided over greater civil rights for black Americans and detente between east and west.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Leisure Hive Forum Index -> The Current Era All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2007-2008 Informe.com. Get Free Forum Hosting
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
 :: 
BBTech Template by © 2003-04 MDesign