FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
The Leisure Hive Forum Index  Log in  Register
New Who fans don't really like New Who
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Leisure Hive Forum Index -> The Current Era
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rigsby



Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 1047

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: New Who fans don't really like New Who Reply with quote

Ever get the feeling this might be true? Why over-react so insanely to the mildest criticisms of it? Unless you're trying to suppress feelings of agreement.

I think they love the idea that it makes their nerdy selves feel more mainstream because it's successful, hence the absurdly over-the-top obsession with rating at Gormless B. But that's not the same as thinking its a good show.

Another thing that gives it away, why praise the show all the time for making "popular drama"? Good drama, bad drama, I get these concepts being praised. But unless you've got shares in the programme, why should you care how many others are watching it a programme when it comes to your own personal enjoyment? Why should that factor in an artistic critique.

Basically, if you say you like New Who, you're a big bloody liar. You really hate it like the rest of us.
_________________
Doctor Who fans - Movie adaptions of the most heated DW internet forum discussions

CHARLIE BROOKER ON NEW WHO
"The most consistently inventive, lovingly crafted British drama on TV! Fact!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Tash



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Posts: 893
Location: Atlantis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some do actually like it, mostly those who are too young to remember the proper series and have only seen any original Doctor Who through the medium of clip shows and snippets on DWC. But some of the more extreme ones like Jon Blum are clearly faking it, they desperately want to like this low-grade fanwank, but for one reason or another can't, they defend it anyway because they want to be liked by others, in short, they're sociopaths.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Rigsby



Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 1047

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDarkLord wrote:
It's why Davies can get away with calling fans the vilest of things, because they either adopt the criticism in a wanky post-ironic way i.e. ming-mongs, or they put it down to the notion that he's somehow insulting 'the 200', and not them, cos they're too cool for school, 'innit'.

New Who fans thinking they're cooler than Old Who fans is the equivalent of Long John Silver slagging off Douglas Bader.
_________________
Doctor Who fans - Movie adaptions of the most heated DW internet forum discussions

CHARLIE BROOKER ON NEW WHO
"The most consistently inventive, lovingly crafted British drama on TV! Fact!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
FordTimelord
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tash wrote:
Some do actually like it, mostly those who are too young to remember the proper series and have only seen any original Doctor Who through the medium of clip shows and snippets on DWC. But some of the more extreme ones like Jon Blum are clearly faking it, they desperately want to like this low-grade fanwank, but for one reason or another can't, they defend it anyway because they want to be liked by others, in short, they're sociopaths.


Blum and other Virgin New Adventure writers also praise nuWho so highly as they have seen the success Rusty the Dirtbag has achieved and think they can also get on the BBC gravy train. Like Ian Levine, no matter how much sanctimonius twaddle they peddle, it ain't going to happen. Blum can't even get a job writing the for new K9 show FFS.
Back to top
Author Message
renegade



Joined: 08 Jan 2010
Posts: 670

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FordTimelord wrote:
Tash wrote:
Some do actually like it, mostly those who are too young to remember the proper series and have only seen any original Doctor Who through the medium of clip shows and snippets on DWC. But some of the more extreme ones like Jon Blum are clearly faking it, they desperately want to like this low-grade fanwank, but for one reason or another can't, they defend it anyway because they want to be liked by others, in short, they're sociopaths.


Blum and other Virgin New Adventure writers also praise nuWho so highly as they have seen the success Rusty the Dirtbag has achieved and think they can also get on the BBC gravy train. Like Ian Levine, no matter how much sanctimonius twaddle they peddle, it ain't going to happen. Blum can't even get a job writing the for new K9 show FFS.


I noticed on Amazon you can pre-order BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures, available early next year. Authors include Kate Orman and Jonathan Blum.

Re-prints of old titles I think, but still, strange.

Are they relaunching the old range?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Vampire-Jonathan-Blum/dp/1849901740/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288214758&sr=8-1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Chancellor Valium



Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 3213
Location: Behind the First Mystery which is the Last Mystery which is the twenty-fourth mystery and Great Amen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renegade wrote:
FordTimelord wrote:
Tash wrote:
Some do actually like it, mostly those who are too young to remember the proper series and have only seen any original Doctor Who through the medium of clip shows and snippets on DWC. But some of the more extreme ones like Jon Blum are clearly faking it, they desperately want to like this low-grade fanwank, but for one reason or another can't, they defend it anyway because they want to be liked by others, in short, they're sociopaths.


Blum and other Virgin New Adventure writers also praise nuWho so highly as they have seen the success Rusty the Dirtbag has achieved and think they can also get on the BBC gravy train. Like Ian Levine, no matter how much sanctimonius twaddle they peddle, it ain't going to happen. Blum can't even get a job writing the for new K9 show FFS.


I noticed on Amazon you can pre-order BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures, available early next year. Authors include Kate Orman and Jonathan Blum.

Re-prints of old titles I think, but still, strange.

Are they relaunching the old range?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Vampire-Jonathan-Blum/dp/1849901740/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288214758&sr=8-1

AFAIK, it's print-on-demand reruns, since there was demand and people were selling the books at ridiculous prices. Lance Parkin is also doing this, and a company called 'Whoone' also has permission to do some reprints. Lawrence Miles' Alien Bodies, for instance, was reprinted in 2009 by Whoone.
_________________
"My fellow Americans: As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball. But tonight I say to you: We must move forward, not backward! Upward, not forward! And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Author Message
iank



Joined: 01 Aug 2009
Posts: 879

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap bastards. Laughing

Does anyone really like New Who? I mean, really?

Having abandoned fandom altogether bar here and gone back to watching the original series in order (just started Pat), I am once more rediscovering just how great classic Who is. The modern version is just so lameass piss in comparison.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
munkus



Joined: 02 Jul 2010
Posts: 498

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iank wrote:
Cheap bastards. Laughing

Does anyone really like New Who? I mean, really?

Having abandoned fandom altogether bar here and gone back to watching the original series in order (just started Pat), I am once more rediscovering just how great classic Who is. The modern version is just so lameass piss in comparison.


I struggle to watch the classic series now as I'm more often than not reminded when something crops up, say regeneration processes, that it's been butchered by Rolf's Traumatised Dingo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Tash



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Posts: 893
Location: Atlantis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do is to try to forget NuWho and all it's crappiness. Constantly remind yourself that NuWho is only based on Doctor Who and that it is in no way canonical.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
mumbles



Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 699
Location: Stoner's Pot Palace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that thank fuck for episodes like Vincent and the Doctor and Flesh and Stone and Amy's Choice, they are certainly anything better dished up in the previous 4.5 years.

I find myself immenstly satisfied that so many pro RTD/Tennant brown nosers on Gallifrey Base, hate series fnarg and Smudger, it gave me so much satisfaction to say to those wankers, if you don't like it, don't watch it then ..

Smudger really is worth watching, and the only time he put in a sub-standard performance was an SJA episode written by Rubish Tip Dildo.
_________________
'Sometimes. I tell them to F**K off' - Clive Swift after being interviewed in DWM

"Taken on a per capita basis and pound for pound, Colin's stories beat Tennant's like Ike beat Tina"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
time meddler



Joined: 03 Sep 2010
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I agree season 5 and doctor #11 were an improvement (although that last episode was pretty crappy), I can't consider it canonical either. I like the 11th doctor, but they would have to bring back the time lords (deicide all that time war nonsense never happened), and somehow retcon doctors 9 and 10 along with that awful Master from Last of the Time Turds out of existence first. I plan on watching season 6, but can't consider it any more continuous with real Who than something like that "Dalek Invasion Earth" movie. As for seasons 1-4, I plan to forget they ever happened...

On the up-side, I've been more into Dr Who than ever since I discovered the audios a few months ago, I think I'm nearly through all of them now. Unlike nuwho, I have no problem considering the audios to be continuous to the original series, even the 8th doctor stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
mumbles



Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 699
Location: Stoner's Pot Palace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

time meddler wrote:
Even though I agree season 5 and doctor #11 were an improvement (although that last episode was pretty crappy), I can't consider it canonical either. I like the 11th doctor, but they would have to bring back the time lords (deicide all that time war nonsense never happened), and somehow retcon doctors 9 and 10 along with that awful Master from Last of the Time Turds out of existence first. I plan on watching season 6, but can't consider it any more continuous with real Who than something like that "Dalek Invasion Earth" movie. As for seasons 1-4, I plan to forget they ever happened...

On the up-side, I've been more into Dr Who than ever since I discovered the audios a few months ago, I think I'm nearly through all of them now. Unlike nuwho, I have no problem considering the audios to be continuous to the original series, even the 8th doctor stuff.


Yeah I agree, Big Finish is great mostly (although they have produced their fair share of clunkers, ironically most of them scripted by RTD bum boys like Joe Lidester) they are generally much more enjoyable then most of Nu-Who, and especially Colin Baker's reputation in fandom has been boosted, and he really has proven that it was a travesty to sack him and replace him with McCoy.
_________________
'Sometimes. I tell them to F**K off' - Clive Swift after being interviewed in DWM

"Taken on a per capita basis and pound for pound, Colin's stories beat Tennant's like Ike beat Tina"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Jimmy Nimbus



Joined: 07 Mar 2010
Posts: 414

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidster's Rapture might be a bit tossy but his Master is pretty excellent. It's like a little Doctor Who stage play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Vector-Victor



Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Posts: 2599
Location: Cork, Ireland

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iank wrote:
Cheap bastards. Laughing

Does anyone really like New Who? I mean, really?


I quite enjoyed the 2010 season of New Who, which was one of the
best genre shows I've ever seen. RTD was the problem with Nu-Who, not the concept of reviving Doctor Who.
_________________
Stan: Nobody threatens my family! Now get out of the way or I'll shoot you all!

Hayley: Oh, God, it's my junior prom all over again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Vector-Victor



Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Posts: 2599
Location: Cork, Ireland

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tash wrote:
The best thing to do is to try to forget NuWho and all it's crappiness. Constantly remind yourself that NuWho is only based on Doctor Who and that it is in no way canonical.


TBH, I'm more interested in whether a Doctor Who story is good rather than whether it's canonical.
_________________
Stan: Nobody threatens my family! Now get out of the way or I'll shoot you all!

Hayley: Oh, God, it's my junior prom all over again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Leisure Hive Forum Index -> The Current Era All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2007-2008 Informe.com. Get Free Forum Hosting
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
 :: 
BBTech Template by © 2003-04 MDesign